K(Abstract)FileItemActionPlugin

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Wed Jun 19 20:58:54 BST 2013

On 2013-06-19, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I was a plugin developer here, I would of course think my plugin
>> should be enabled by default and thus in my ctor call
>> setEnabledByDefault(true)
>
> I would suggest to leave the path of plugin enabling as solution asap - it's not a solution at all.

Yes. That would also be my suggestion, but Frank has actually committed
code to kdelibs master that does this - targetting 4.11.

Unless we revert it quite fast, we will have to stick with it, the
setEnabledByDefault(bool), function.

Having such a facitily also gives much wider implications:
1) is it allowed to ship poor plugins if they aren't enabled by default?
2) must other users FileItemActionPlugins also have to adapt to this?

> Synchronous I/O in the GUI thread can, at least post-init, be reasonably considered a bug.

I agree that bugs should be fixed, not worked around. And not by
starting arms races.

so Frank, please, pretty please, can you reconsider?

/Sune