Should fast mime detection use a stat call?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jun 17 16:38:51 BST 2013

Le lundi 17 juin 2013 15:13:36 Mark a écrit :
> @Frank, do you happen to know what dolphin does here? Is it passing
> this mode property?

I thought you profiled this, don't you have backtraces?

> For the rest of this patch. I - sadly - didn't think about looking in
> the frameworks branch to see if this would still be valid for that.
> Which it isn't due to QMimeType (awesome work btw, david! Really good
> to see that stuff in Qt!) so that means this patch is only usable for
> the KDE 4.x cycle. The patch is a bit invasive and requires quite
> thorough testing of apps that use mime types. So it won't be accepted
> for 4.11 which is a long term KDE release. Is it worth it to simplify
> the patch for some easy speed improvements or should i just close it?
> Is there even going to be another release after 4.11?

If a patch can speed things up *without* regressions, I see no problems with
having it in a 4.11.x bugfix release. But the current patch doesn't really
seem to be in that category....
If there's no way to speed things up without regressions, then yes, it should
be discarded.