Proposal for branching policy towards KF5

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Tue Jul 30 00:03:20 BST 2013

On Mon, July 29, 2013 22:09:38 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le mercredi 24 juillet 2013 23:05:55 Michael Pyne a écrit :
> > I didn't want to write another parser, but JSON has no native comment
> > support, so the documentation [1] is on community.kde.org (though perhaps
> > that's for the best).
>
> Slightly off-topic: I probably arrive a bit late, but have you considered
> using YAML instead of JSON? YAML is as light to write (if not lighter) than
> JSON, widespread enough to have parsers in many languages and does support
> comments.

I won't claim to have seriously considered it, but it seems we're using JSON
elsewhere already, and Python at least appears to support it by default on all
of the hosts where JSON may be necessary (e.g. l10n servers, build.kde.org,
etc.).

The logic of the existing scripts is not very tied to the data interchange
format so it's not like migrating to YAML would be traumatic at this point,
but I don't think comments alone would warrant switching either now that we
have some small amount of code supporting it.

And also, who wants to have to worry about code execution when you're just
trying to parse a data interchange format? ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne