Supported Compilers / C++11 Support in KF5

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Jul 21 12:32:33 BST 2013

Hi,

during one of the KF5 BoFs at Akademy we discussed which compilers we want to
support for KF5 (for KDE PIM: s/KF5/Akonadi >=1.11/). The conclusion was to do
what Qt does (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/platform-details.html)
but ignore the older optional platforms (some of which are broken in Qt itself
anyway). This means:
- GCC >= 4.5
- MSVC >= 2010
- Clang

Yes, this does exclude platforms that are not accepting GPLv3 GCCs and have
not yet switched to Clang. Since all of them at least plan to do that AFAIK,
if they haven't done so anyway, this should not be a big issue.

It's probably worth documenting this somewhere, but I couldn't find a list of
what we currently officially support. Suggestions?

As a result of this we can use some C++11 features unconditionally (ie.
without the #ifdef/macro hacks Qt is using). Most prominently this includes:
- auto
- rvalue refs (without rvalue refs for *this)
- lambda
- override

See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.frameworks/3652 for the
detailed list of supported features.

Are there any objections to this? Any compiler/platform/feature combination we
missed that you think could be problematic?

regards,
Volker