Releases in 3 months

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Mon Jul 15 20:00:27 BST 2013

Àlex Fiestas wrote:

> Now that kde-workspace and kdelibs are going to be frozen (which in theory
> means less work for everybody) I'd like to propose a new release schedule
> to be applied starting with 4.12.

Replying to the message starting the thread because I forgot something
important at least from the openSUSE perspective: what we call "maintenance
updates".

Starting recently the KDE team at openSUSE is also managing to push minor
releases of the latest stable SC included in the distribution. The rationale
is that the number of bugs fixed between minor releases is *always*
signficant and doing branch diffs is way more costly from a time and human
perspective.

However the issue is that this may be problematic in case of shorter
releases.

Again, I really don't want to sound negative or dissing the proposal: what I
mean to say is that there are /doubts/, rather than absolute certainties.
We're happy to be proven wrong, in fact. ;)

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter