Releases in 3 months

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Mon Jul 15 13:16:01 BST 2013

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> "we should try to recruit more people from the  user community of
> downstream distributions who have the skills necessary to merge patches
> and test. some distributions do this already.”

The reason I mentioned "issues" with this approach originally originate from
(perhaps it's just my naive thinking) the need to prevent burnout at all
costs in distro teams.

The number of packagers is often even less than developers: for openSUSE,
which I know better of, the major packaging work is split between 3 people
usually, and increased burden *may* lead to burnout which can be
catastrophic with these numbers.

I also realize however that I do not want to sound too negative: rationally
speaking, what would be nice to see, for such a proposal is a definition (in
broad terms) of what can be backportable and what not (kind of like you said
further down in the mail).

> The question is whether the above is a reason to not have 3 month release
> cycles? (Or whatever # of months is agreed on, where that # is less than
> 6)

It is a matter of workflow, I think, that is that the development workflow
(let's call it like that, even if it is improper) should be put in place
first, and then applied to shrink release times.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter