Releases in 3 months

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jul 15 13:48:01 BST 2013

El Diumenge, 14 de juliol de 2013, a les 04:19:52, Inge Wallin va escriure:
> I think keeping 6 months is a good
> figure to ensure both reasonable turn-around *and* actual bugfixes of
> versions being used in the real world.

It may be a reasonable turn-around for some users, but it is also not
defenitely reasonable for some developers.

Real data:
 October 25, 2012: KDE SC 4.10 Soft Feature Freeze
 August 14, 2013: KDE SC 4.11 Release

This means that if a "new" developer suggest a new feature (with half finished
code) just after the soft-freeze has kicked in, when told he has to wait
almost 10 months to see his feature released, he will probably walks away
since he thinks "that's too long, i might be dead in 10 months". And we just
lost a potential developer, and to be honest, users can be sometimes awesome,
but I'll take a developer over a user any time, since the developer will help
us getting more users ;-)

We need to find a way to make it easier to hook-in this kind of developers, 10
months is just too much.

Cheers,
  Albert