Releases in 3 months

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 15 09:26:54 BST 2013

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 15:23:46 David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 12 July 2013 17:07:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >  we ought to think of ways to make master more stable.
>
> Exactly. And porting master to qt5/frameworks definitely doesn't make it
> more stable, so let's not do that.
>
> (Yes, I'm mixing both topics, because I see contradictory arguments from the
> same person in both threads ;)

Context is important.

When developing the 4.x series, we have something that would benefit from
broader testing  and usage and which can quite realistically be developed in
such a manner. So a “keep master stable at all times” strategy makes every bit
of sense.

During the Qt5/Frameworks 5 port of kde-workspace, that branch will not be
called ‘master’, but KDE/4.11. The rest is semantics: the KDE/4.11 branch
becomes the “master” branch for 4.x for kde-workspace from that point forward.

During the Frameworks 5 port, the stability goal for master will initially be
for the developers doing that work (or who would like to), and then later for
early adopter testers and then eventually widespread use. During each of those
phases, we will strive to keep master stable for the audience it is
addressing.

Using master for porting to Frameworks 5 allows us to minimize later work by
clearly defining which branches can drift from that development in which ways.
We will strive tot keep that master branch as usable as possible during that
porting, however; e.g. the use of topic branches for the porting tasks will
help us keep master in a sane state during that process.

When looking at the needs and requirements of

	* a stable release series
	* a major porting effort / devel cycle

things do not work identically. Trying to compare statements made in those two
contexts will lead one to find that some statements can not be applied with
equal accuracy to both contexts.

It’s like being surprised that there are differences in the safety precautions
taken when driving a car or flying an airplane, despite both being ways of
getting from point A to point B.

--
Aaron J. Seigo