Releases in 3 months

Ben cricketc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 00:26:01 BST 2013

On 07/13/2013 10:19 PM, Inge Wallin wrote:
> Without having any scientific proof, I believe that there are 2 main categories
> of users:
>   1. Those generally satisfied who want stability
>   2. Those who long for new updates all the time.
>
> My feeling is that the first category is the silent majority and the second
> category is the loud minority. Of course there is always a number of people
> who want just "this special new feature" to make it perfect but those are
> probably split in which feature they want and therefore still a minority.

I'm pretty firmly in category #1. KDE has a lot of features already, and
what I'm looking for right now is polish that removes bugs and increases
stability and makes everything just work the way it is supposed to.
Anything that contributes to those things is what I'm looking for - not
features at this point.

Of course, I'm not saying that developers have to stop working on
features (as we all know, developers can work on whatever they want),
but what this user wants is bug-fixing and polish on what's there already.

If a new feature is introduced, I'd rather it be tested and polished
before releasing to the general users, so that it doesn't make the
application less stable.

> Testing periods, integration branches, always releasable master, etc aside,
> there will always be bugs in all software. And the users want these bugs fixed.
> If the statement above is indeed true, then the majority of users want to have
> the bugs fixed without having to suffer through other changes too.

Yes! I'd like good ways to have bugs in my current version fixed without
new bugs from new features. Right now, I look for the .4 or .5 releases
(when I can) in the hopes that they'll be the most stable. I'm on
4.10.2, and I'd like to move to 4.10.5 (not currently available for my
distro, so I might have to build it myself). From some emails in this
thread, it sounds like maybe it's a vain hope that the .5 releases are
the most stable, but stability and polish are generally what I'm looking
for.

Just 2 cents from this user...
-Ben