KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Jul 14 00:30:49 BST 2013

On Sat, July 13, 2013 23:36:24 David Faure wrote:
> No changes to anyone's workflow, including translators, testers, powerusers,
> distros, kde-wide bugfixers, etc. The only ones who have to switch to
> another branch is the people switching to a qt5/frameworks based
> development, and these people have a lot more setup to do anyway, the "git
> checkout frameworks" is 1% of it all.

I can confirm that the time when kdelibs was blocked to a certain branch was
more problematic for kdesrc-build users (and by extension, myself).

In any event the branch 'master' should mean something semantically. At this
point that means either 4.x or the Qt5/KF5 code that's coming up.

It seems a bit early to declare that Qt5/KF5 will be the answer during the
4.12 timeframe, so that would tend to argue against making master target
Qt5/KF5.

Bugfixes and other minor fixes during the 4.12 (13, 14...) timeframe will
still need to be committed somewhere (presumably somewhere else besides
KDE/4.11) and 'master' would need to mean something during that time. So why
not leave it the way it is now (master makes sense, 4.x bugfixes have a
working dev branch), until we're ready to cut over Qt5/KF5 to be the new
'master'?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne