Releases in 3 months

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 12 16:21:14 BST 2013

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:28:10 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> This isn't the first time upstream KDE developers have suggested offloading
> the boring upstream maintenance work to distributions.

do you think it’s because it is boring? no. it’s because if when this work is
put on the shoulders of too few people it doesn’t get done. boring has nothing
to do with it.

upstream often does not know which branches and which feature sets matter to
downstreams, nor are we able to test all of those branches while downstream
has the user audience that can.

please stop this “it is shifting responsibility” meme. it’s about finding ways
to work together more dynamically and within our areas of ability.

> It's still not a
> good idea.  We don't particularly have spare manpower to pick this work up
> and many of us are primarily packagers who lack the skills needed to do
> this.

right, so the challenges highlighted here seem to be:

0. downstreams have typically invested in recruiting and developer packagers,
not developers

1. packagers seem to feel that if upstream doesn’t do the actual commit to the
upstream repository, then upstream is not maintaining their software

the first challenge indicates we should try to recruit more people from the
user community of downstream distributions who have the skills necessary to
merge patches and test. some distributions do this already, btw.

the second challenge is a matter of mutual understanding which we can work out
in this very thread.

--
Aaron J. Seigo