Releases in 3 months

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed Jul 10 16:43:38 BST 2013

On Tuesday 09 July 2013 21:57:51 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2013, Sven Brauch wrote:
> > I think Nuno's point is very interesting and worth thinking about. To
> > stick with the firefox example, since they started releasing every
> > ortography fix in the settings dialog as a new major version, I think
> > attention in the media to their releases has declined a lot -- nobody
> > cares any more that a new version of firefox was released since it
> > happens every three days.
>
> that's my impression too.

I can't comment on promo strategies, but I can comment on news since I read a
lot of them.

FF pointless releases get small coverage, FF releases containing interesting
features get the same coverage as they did before. For example:

Firefox 201 has speed improvements and security fixes. This one appears
barely.

Firefox 202 contains new interface. This one appears everywhere as old firefox
releases did.

Actually, in the old fashion FF releases only the most important changes (like
new interface) got press coverage anyway... so not much have changed.