kdeinit vs. link order

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:20:28 BST 2013

On Dienstag, 9. Juli 2013 10:51:16 CEST, David Faure wrote:

> Instantiated = loaded as a directly-linked shared library?
Yes.

> Interesting hack, never heard of that before.
Afaics Lubos added it.

> If you set LD_PRELOAD and then type kwin in a terminal, it
> still doesn't work?
No.

> Then the problem is elsewhere.
Ok.

> Let's first establish kdeinit as guilty for sure
By the above assurance, it's not kdeinit - sorry for the noise.
The nvidia blob might as well just have somewhen changed behavior - or ldd could have or it's because of the hack around the fpic issue with the nvidia libGL.
(I personally never cared too much about libkwinnvidiahack, but its functionality is to become pretty relevant now)

I'll nevertheless try building kwin as regular binary and see whether it works then.

> kwin is typically started from startkde anyway, why not setenv there?
> Because other processes than kwin shouldn't get this env var?
Yes, we'd influcence the way the GL library operates what may be very good for KWin, but very bad for GPGPU or games or what not.
We'll have to constrain the environment to KWin.

We also have to preserve it over crash restarts and restarts for changing the graphicssystem.

And users trying "openbox --replace&" yaddayaddayadda "kwin --replace&" might find KWin to consume too much CPU afterwards.

So ideally we could tie those settings to kwin - no matter how it's started.

Cheers and sorry in case this turns out being FUD about kdeinit,
Thomas