Releases in 3 months

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jul 9 01:02:48 BST 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Àlex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:

> Now that kde-workspace and kdelibs are going to be frozen (which in theory
> means less work for everybody) I'd like to propose a new release schedule
> be applied starting with 4.12.
>
> Basically the idea is to cut testing time and compensate it by keeping
> master
> always in a "releaseable" state, now that two major components are frozen
> it
> looks like it is a good time to get used to it.
>
> You can read all the proposal in:
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/ReleasesProposal
>
> Before sending this email I have checked with distro people, i18n people,
> other developers and almost all of them seemed to either like or be neutral
> about it (only one exception :p) so I hope that the proposal is not a
> complete
> disaster.
>
> As its name indicates, it is a proposal, so please be constructive in the
> feedback, we can change as many things as we need.
>
> Finally, I have scheduled a Bof at Akademy, would be nice to have all the
> feedback from the community that is not able to come before it happens:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Akademy/2013/Wednesday#Room_A2_-_17_July
>
> Cheers !

Hi,
I think this can be an important step forward in KDE. I see here that we're
essentially adding flexibility to our project delivery, it's something that
we've missed for longtime and I'd say that we want to use this opportunity
to our favor.

Most of the arguments I see here are technical complaints about such a
management change. Most of us here are technologists and we can deal with
those changes. Moreover, we just adopted git and some developers are still
using it as svn.

I think that agreeing upon having a clean and usable master will be healthy
for all KDE projects, one of the biggest problems I've had as a maintainer
is lack of future versions' users. We want those, and I know many KDE
developers who don't test regularly what our users will end up suffering.
This has to stop. Either way, I hope that our project maintainers will keep
making sure no unfinished features end up in our final releases.

Aleix