Releases in 3 months

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at slackware.com
Mon Jul 8 19:40:59 BST 2013

On Monday 08 July 2013 15:04:40 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> Now that kde-workspace and kdelibs are going to be frozen (which in theory
> means less work for everybody) I'd like to propose a new release schedule to
> be applied starting with 4.12.

IMHO that's a bit hasty. There was previous talk about Frameworks, Workspaces
and Applications (potentially) having a different release schedule. I don't
think anything has been really talked about there yet, but that's something
that would definitely play into the current proposal. No matter the outcome of
the discussion, you'd want to avoid changing release processes twice within a
short period of time, and with releases of KF5 and PW2 sometime next year
(assumption) that would certainly be a thing to keep in mind.

> Basically the idea is to cut testing time and compensate it by keeping
> master always in a "releaseable" state, now that two major components are
> frozen it looks like it is a good time to get used to it.

The philosophy is nice, but it's hardly enforcable. So it's something everyone
needs to adhere to voluntarily and that may take some convincing, especially
when it involves changing current (working) practices. 3 months seems rather
ambitious there.

> Before sending this email I have checked with distro people, i18n people,
> other developers and almost all of them seemed to either like or be neutral
> about it (only one exception :p) so I hope that the proposal is not a
> complete disaster.

Any reason not to CC kde-packager or kde-release-team? IMHO they'd be primary
audiences for this.

Grs,
Heinz