openSUSE packagers' take on the 3 month release cycle

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 19:35:22 BST 2013

(apologies for breaking your threading, but I'm not subscribed to k-c-d; in
fact, please CC me with replies, thanks!)

Currently, the people working on openSUSE packages are against the proposal. A
detailed explanation follows.

First and foremost, the KDE packaging in openSUSE is almost completely
community driven. This means that most of the work is done by volounteers
which handle what they can in their (limited) time. Faster releases may mean
worse packaging and increased maintenance (and I think this is also an issue
w/most non rolling distros).

Additionally, there are a number of concerns regarding maintainability which
are openSUSE specific: since the distro has an 8 month release cycle and there
is support for current version and current version-1, we make available newer
releases from KDE in specific repositories on the Open Build Service, and
additionally we submit minor releases from KDE as official updates for the
distribution.

The 3-month workflow would not only strain the work within the packaging (some
of us track the development versions and know how can they become moving
targets) but also on the whole infrastructure:

- providing updated packages in the extra repositories will require more work
- this would also cause an additional strain for supplying updates

Also, despite the fact that no one is forced to have the latest and greatest,
there is the issue with user support (as I see in the KDE Community Forums,
speaking with my forum admin hat on) where issues are fixed already but
distros don't carry the required updates. So this would be detrimental for the
distribution(s) anyway.

Therefore, the only logical conclusion is -1 to this proposal.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter