Releases in 3 months

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 18:54:37 BST 2013

El Dilluns, 8 de juliol de 2013, a les 15:14:07, Luigi Toscano va escriure:
> On Monday 08 of July 2013 15:04:40 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> > Now that kde-workspace and kdelibs are going to be frozen (which in theory
> > means less work for everybody) I'd like to propose a new release schedule
> > to be applied starting with 4.12.
> >
> > Basically the idea is to cut testing time and compensate it by keeping
> > master always in a "releaseable" state, now that two major components are
> > frozen it looks like it is a good time to get used to it.
> >
> > You can read all the proposal in:
> > http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/ReleasesProposal
> >
> > Before sending this email I have checked with distro people, i18n people,
> > other developers and almost all of them seemed to either like or be
> > neutral
> > about it (only one exception :p) so I hope that the proposal is not a
> > complete disaster.
>
> If the exception is "i18n", well, I guess that most of i18n people would
> tell you that it will be a pain from translation's point of view. It is
> true that there is one month before the hard-string freeze and the release,
> but there is another month before with the soft string freeze, and usually
> the changes tend to be quite limited in that timeframe. Of course with the
> new schedule the soft freeze won't be there anymore.

There will also be less features (since there's less time to develop them), so
maybe you don't need that much time.

> > As its name indicates, it is a proposal, so please be constructive in the
> > feedback, we can change as many things as we need.
>
> From the pure development point of view, imho a shorter release time can be
> achieved with many more _automated_ tests, not only unit tests.

automated test vs unit test is a technicallity ;-) But agreed, we need more
tests and they have to pass. Yes kdepim* people I'm looking at you!

Cheers,
  Albert