Releases in 3 months

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Mon Jul 8 14:14:07 BST 2013

On Monday 08 of July 2013 15:04:40 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> Now that kde-workspace and kdelibs are going to be frozen (which in theory
> means less work for everybody) I'd like to propose a new release schedule to
> be applied starting with 4.12.
>
> Basically the idea is to cut testing time and compensate it by keeping
> master always in a "releaseable" state, now that two major components are
> frozen it looks like it is a good time to get used to it.
>
> You can read all the proposal in:
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/ReleasesProposal
>
> Before sending this email I have checked with distro people, i18n people,
> other developers and almost all of them seemed to either like or be neutral
> about it (only one exception :p) so I hope that the proposal is not a
> complete disaster.

If the exception is "i18n", well, I guess that most of i18n people would tell
you that it will be a pain from translation's point of view. It is true that
there is one month before the hard-string freeze and the release, but there is
another month before with the soft string freeze, and usually the changes tend
to be quite limited in that timeframe. Of course with the new schedule the
soft freeze won't be there anymore.

> As its name indicates, it is a proposal, so please be constructive in the
> feedback, we can change as many things as we need.
>From the pure development point of view, imho a shorter release time can be
achieved with many more _automated_ tests, not only unit tests.

Shortening the release time by one month or one month and a half would be a
more reasonable target. IMHO.

Ciao
--
Luigi