New lockscreen

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Fri Jan 11 09:47:40 GMT 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:28:22AM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> and what has protecting the screen against burn-ins to do with security?
> Nothing, right.

Which is why the lock screen has usually been activated separately from the
screensaver.

> Btw. we are not the only ones who go the way of removing screen savers in
> favor of lock screens. The same happened at GNOME and at Microsoft. So somehow
> the people working on such features came all independently to the same
> conclusion.

Windows 8 still has screensavers AFAIK? As does OS X.

And Gnome is not something to be emulated in the least bit, IMHO.

> Yes sure there are still CRTs around, there are Plasma screens around and
> somewhen in the future OLEDs might be used which show the problem. Does that
> mean that we should use a default (because that's what it's all about) which
> is not optimal for the 99.9 % of our user base that actually uses LCD screens?

Where on earth did you pull that statistic from? And while your arguments may
be in favour of using a blank screensaver by default, I think something that
is optimal for 100% of our users is better than 99.9%, and I think you agree.

> and again that is orthogonal. There is nothing preventing anyone to add an
> animation to the lock screen.

Sure, let's just make sure it works properly.

> As I wrote it's a HACK and has always been like that.

Well, they have always been known as screen hacks, yes, but mostly because
they are clever graphical hacks AFAIK. :-P

--
Martin Sandsmark