New lockscreen

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Fri Jan 11 09:12:13 GMT 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:49:06AM +0100, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> no, removing features is not a regression. It is the decision to remove the
> feature. The use case for screen savers does no longer exist or when did you
> last have a screen which needs to be saved? For background reading I recommend
> [1].

I still have CRT screens, and plasma displays (yes, ironic or something) are
highly susceptible to burn-ins as well. LCD displays usually only have
transient burn-ins, but it's still annoying. OLED displays seem to be more
susceptible to burn-ins than plasma displays according to some sources. So
no, the use case hasn't disappeared at all (it's still the same as it was 20
years ago).

And I still really like to have the nice asciiquarium to show off whenever I
leave my computer.

But if you are going to remove screensaver support, at least do that
completely, and don't leave a half-broken implementation in place (and mark
the bugs as related to it as invalid).

--
Martin Sandsmark
Screensaver afficionado