Login for bug reporting

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Thu Feb 7 09:43:28 GMT 2013

Torsdag den 7. februar 2013 10:29:53 skrev Myriam Schweingruber:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk> wrote:
> > Onsdag den 6. februar 2013 22:20:07 skrev Frank Reininghaus:
> >
> > considering that we get lots of duplicates for any reproducible bug, my
> > impression is actually not that there are to many obstacles in the bug
> > reporting process. Providing any kind of "contact me via email/Facebook"
> > channel will only make it worse. I'm already spending a lot of time
> > marking
> > reports as duplicate/invalid or telling people that reporting bugs for KDE
> > 4.8 or earlier is not quite as useful as they think. Please do not make it
> > worse by lowering the bug reporting barriers.
> >

> > How would the demand for having an account lower the amount of duplicates?
>
> The other way round: we already have a lot of duplicates with the
> current system, if the reports don't have to make an account anymore
> we would get even more useless reports.

Noone /wants/ to create duplicates. Preventing bug reports not only prevents
duplicates, it also prevents usable reports.

If we want fewer duplicates, making it more likely that they are caught before
reported is a better idea.

Make the duplicate search step more efficient, for example by having it on a page
of its own, so it can't be scrolled past as easily, and provide better information
about using it. And what others can come up with...

Anders