Moving Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Tue Dec 24 12:06:55 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 24 December 2013 11:28:11 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> I would like to move Baloo and Baloo-widgets into KDE SC soon. It
> would be nice if someone could review the code. Both the projects
> are in kdereview.
>
> Baloo is a metadata and search framework which is a successor to
> the Nepomuk project. It primarily provides -
>
> * An API for searching
> * A way of storing relations between entities
> * File indexing
> * Email and Contact Indexing
> * timeline kioslave
>
> Baloo-widgets is a direct fork of nepomuk-widgets (history
> preserved). It offers the same widgets and API as nepomuk-widgets.

How does Baloo cooperate with Nepomuk? Note that we have ABI
guarantees, so if the metadata is not shared between running instances
of two services, but applications would have to be ported to the new
ABI, then you cannot introduce Baloo in KDE 4.x, but only for KF5.

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)
KDE Quality Team