Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Dec 12 11:34:40 GMT 2013

Aloha,

> - Resource Description Framework (RDF)
> The biggest problem with RDF is that it raises the knowledge needed to

I'm not sure this was *the* problem with nepomuk adoption, but lets ignore
that for a moment :)

So, nepomuk was based on rdf and sparql. Essentially, a simple and
standardized yet really slow (and overly academic) technology that (in our
case) introduced quite a few issues, as you already stated.

What is a replacement for sparql in baloo? (the wiki page is quite
underwhelming)

Things here seem to be quite separated. Are the different 'stores' at least
sharing a same instance of a database? (aka, are akonadi, and other stores
going to share a single instance of **sql)

How are the following things going to be implemented (some use-cases that come
to mind):
 - telepathy and akonadi contacts (kpeople implementation)
 - linking a contact (kpeople vs akonadi) to an activity
 - linking a file to an activity
 - linking an application to an activity
 - getting emails of contacts that are linked to an activity
 - getting emails with attachments of contacts that are linked to an activity

> Additionally, RDF is a very flexible way to store data, it is however not
> the most efficient way. Data is generally completely normalized even though

Agreed. RDF stores are usually slow because they focus on flexibility as a
most common use-case which it is not.

> you've read the basic ideas behind Baloo [2]

As I said, the basic ideas are overly basic when you come from outside world
and don't know what is written between the lines. :)

Ch!

--
There are no such things as applied sciences, only applications of science.
  -- Louis Pasteur