KF5 kwallet, kwalletd and wallet manager questions

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Sun Aug 25 10:55:16 BST 2013

On 08/24/2013 02:32 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday, 2013-08-24, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> El Dissabte, 24 d'agost de 2013, a les 12:31:20, Valentin Rusu va escriure:
>>>
>>> * AFAIK, frameworks should be independent and self-contained. kwallet
>>> depends on kde-runtime/kwalletd. This component should be detached from
>>> kde-runtime sources and attached inside kwallet/src/kwalletd, preserving
>>> history if possible. I can handle this task if that's OK for you (Aron,
>>> David, Kevin?)
>>
>> This makes sense and AFAIK is what is intended with frameworks, i.e. if a
>> lib needs a binary, that binary and the lib should be shipped together
>
> One thing that could be put into consideration is whether the library/API
> would work with any SecretService implementation or require kwalletd
> specifically.

The kwallet API is only implemented by kwalletd AFAIK. So for this API's
cas, we should provide kwalletd along with it.

The new secret service API, on the other hand, is likely to have several
implementation. In that cas, the daemon should not be systematically
tied-in.

I think that future versions of the kwallet framework will have
configure options, to let packagers/users choose what to install.