KF5 kwallet, kwalletd and wallet manager questions

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Aug 24 12:43:59 BST 2013

El Dissabte, 24 d'agost de 2013, a les 12:31:20, Valentin Rusu va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> Now that frameworks splitting is almost done ;-) with some people even
> running KF5-based sessions on their systems, I'd like to plan kwallet
> porting and integration. BTW, I'd like also to announce that I agreed
> with Michael Leupold to take over the maintainership of KWallet and I'm
> now committed to do that. I also plan to add new features to kwallet, as
> some of you may remember from our Randa discussions. But I'll make
> another announcement(s) regarding these new features and ksecretsservice.
>
> Here are my questions about kwallet in KF5:
> * what tier will kwallet end-in? Note that kwallet.h is included only by
> khtml, whose tier is not yet defined
>
> * AFAIK, frameworks should be independent and self-contained. kwallet
> depends on kde-runtime/kwalletd. This component should be detached from
> kde-runtime sources and attached inside kwallet/src/kwalletd, preserving
> history if possible. I can handle this task if that's OK for you (Aron,
> David, Kevin?)

This makes sense and AFAIK is what is intended with frameworks, i.e. if a lib
needs a binary, that binary and the lib should be shipped together

> * Another piece of software related to kwallet is KWalletManager from
> kdeutils. I think that component should also be detached from kdeutils
> and attached under kwallet/src/manager. I can also handle this task if
> that's OK (Aron, David, Kevin but also Raphael?)

Not sure this bundling makes sense. KWalletManager is a tool that if i am a
developer for Windows that wants to use the kwallet framework I don't need.
Actually it's a utility a regular user should probably never need unless you
use it to manually store stuff (I do) or you want to inspect what apps store
(I do).

Of course I don't have much of a decision power on this but wanted to express
my concerns ;-)

Cheers and congratulations for your new maintainership,
  Albert