kio and KDirNotify for remote protocols

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 14 10:53:43 BST 2013

Hi!

I'm writing a KIO slave for the infinote protocol [1]. The protocol features
push-notifications for connected clients when a file is added or removed, and
it's sort of important for the user to see when files are added. Thus, I'd
like to make the application using the slave (e.g. dolphin) reload the view
when such a notification arrives. In theory, I know I can do this through the
KDirNotify interface, but in practice, there's two problems:

 (1) I have no idea how long slaves are kept alive. Can I bind them to a
     specific view (e.g. dolphin window) and prevent them from exiting until
     the user closes the window, to make sure notifications are actually
     being received?
 (2) I do not know which URL to pass to KDirNotify, since such an URL might
     or might not include user name, default port, ... And if the URL format
     passed to KDirNotify by the slave differs from the format in e.g.
     dolphin's URL bar, the view will not be reloaded.

Can someone give me a hint on how to go about solving those issues?

Greetings,
Sven

_______
[1] http://infinote.org/