KDirWatch bug and the analysis. Help is welcome!

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 12:21:12 BST 2013

On Donnerstag, 1. August 2013 12:44:57 CEST, Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/8/1 Thomas Lübking:
>>> We could, however, fix this by filtering out hidden files
>>> ("dot files") in
>>> the KDirWatch inotify event handling, optionally.
>>
>> What doesn't help you when listing them as well.
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1. why does dolphin update the .directory file *intantly* and esp. while
>> still showing the dir. Why not when eg. leaving it or when closing down
>> (bearing the risk to loose the update when "closing down" is a segfault)
>
> I'm not quite sure (I haven't implemented the .directory thing), but
> if the modified settings were stored when leaving the directory, then
> splitting the view, opening a new tab, or a new Dolphin/Konqueror
> window *before* leaving the directory would still show you the
> directory with the "old" view properties.

Singleton cache to lookup?
Like QHash<QString, DirSettings>

class DirSettings {
   QDateTime timeStamp;
   bool showHidden;
   Foo bar;
};

Would work for at least single process cases.
(Though dolphin is no more KUniqeApplication? Spawns new processes instead of windows here)

> KDirLister/KDirListerCache is not threaded if I'm not mistaken.
No. Doesn't seem so. Explains blocking.
I'll try a naive and risky "moveToThread()" tonight ;-)