Requesting freeze exception for JtG

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sun Apr 28 13:05:45 BST 2013

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last weekend we had the KDE eV Sprint at Berlin.
>
> For various reasons, financial mainly, it was clear we need to raise
> visibility of the Join the Game campaign in order to get more users to
> sign up. One of the decisions taken was to add a bit of the Join the
> Game text to KDE applications.
>
> Screenshots available here:
> http://www.elpauer.org/help-jtg/
>
> To avoid confusion with the Join the Game program, there are slight
> changes in "About KDE":  "Join KDE" and "Support KDE" have been
> relabeled to "Get involved" and "Donate" respectively.
>
> Why is it important that we get this in now?
> - Because 4.8 is probably the last release before 5.0
> - Given our history with 4.0, I wouldn't be surprised if users and
> distributions avoid 5.0 as the default, or even altogether
> - This means either the Join the Game propaganda goes in for 4.8, or
> it will not arrive to our users before 18-24 months (~12 months till
> 5.0 + 6 months for 5.1 + distributions delay + ...). No matter how
> optimistic we are about releasing 5.0 soon, history shows there are
> always delays.
> - We cannot wait 18 months
>
> There are no API changes involved. This is not exactly a "feature" either.
>
> Code is available in the origin-KDE/4.7 branch here:
> git at git.kde.org:/clones/kdelibs/pgquiles/kdelibs-jointhegame.git
>
> If you'd rather see it in web:
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fkdelibs%2Fpgquiles%2Fkdelibs-jointhegame.git&a=shortlog&h=refs/heads/origin-KDE/4.7
>

> Given that we are already feature frozen, I am hereby requesting a
> freeze exception for the following:
> - Adding a new menu subheader ("Support KDE: Join the Game")
> - Adding new dialog with three tabs (KJoinTheGame). The text of these
> tabs is essentially the same as the first three columns in
> http://jointhegame.kde.org/
>

> This will require a message freeze exception, which I have already requested.
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=132192199114831&w=2

Heya :)

I'd like to bring this up again. Where are we with this? Is now a
better time to get this in? What needs to be done still and who can
make it happen?

Cheers
Lydia

KDE Community Working Group / KDE e.V. board member
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org