Finalized proposal for i18n in KF5, second iteration

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Tue Apr 2 14:46:52 BST 2013

After considering comments from the previous iteration:

  http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2012-December/001358.html

here is the updated version:

  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-02/html/prg_guide.html
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-02/klocalizedstring.h
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-02/kuitmarkup.h

and the diffs:

  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-02/ki18n_doc-01-to-02.diff
  http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-02/klocalizedstring-01-to-02.diff

The non-trivial changes and additions are these:

* New section "Connecting to Catalogs in Non-Code Files", that is in .ui,
  .rc and .kcfg files.

* Macros I18N_NOOP2 and I18N_NOOP2_NOSTRIP are now deprecated, replaced with
  I18NC_NOOP.

* Renamed the TRANSLATION_CATALOG define to TRANSLATION_DOMAIN, to be more
  in line with Gettext terminology.

* Reduced capitalization in markup-related identifiers from KUIT* to Kuit*,
  similar to other acronym-containing identifiers in KDE.

One important questions is still open, namely whether the variable-argument
macro expansion is supported for all target compilers. I understood that
there is no C++03 standard for this, while in C99 and C++0x it is:

  #define i18n(...) i18nd(TRANSLATION_DOMAIN, __VA_ARGS__)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)