Add support for Persona on KDE sites?

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 04:46:42 BST 2012

El 27/09/2012, a las 22:44, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> escribió:
> Hi,
>
> -- i'm not sure where to send this mail to.. code-devel seems out of
> place but i can't find anything more fitting for this question.. there
> is no "websites" list --
>
> Yesterday mozilla introduced Persona (used to be BrowserID). More
> information about that can be found here https://www.persona.org/. At
> first i was - like probably quite a few others - sceptical about
> another single sign-on system. I mean, we have openid already and it
> does seem to work fine now that it's finally populair. However, i
> personally now see persona as it's successor. It's so extremely easy
> to use it.
>
> Assumption: you are logged in with persona
> Logging in on a persona enabled site is very very easy and extremely
> user friendly. You get a popup which asks if you want to login or not.
> If you want you simply push the sign in button and you're in! You
> don't need to type in anything just to login.
>
> Needless to say, i'm very positive about this :)
>
> Why don't we add persona support on the KDE sites?
> What would be needed for that to happen? Considering that OpenID is
> already in place, adding persona must be very easy to add.

OpenID is 'already in place' for only a few sites, such as the wikis.
Taking the wikis as an example, we support OpenID only because
MediaWiki already had the code for it. KDE people didn't do any work
to add OpenID support. So if you want Persona support on the wikis, I
guess you should ask the Mediawiki developers first.

But wikis are just one example. Most of the KDE sites already support
unified login with KDE Identity. With my KDE sysadmin hat on, I'll say
we might implement Persona only if someone comes up with a concrete
proposal of how it would integrate with Identity. Supporting KDE
Identity *and* OpenID *and* Persona as totally independent login
options is absolutely a no-go.

As a second objection, it was announced *yesterday*, and I bet few
people in this list even know anything about it at this early point.
We won't be early adopters, at least not at such an extreme (I'm
relatively new to KDE compared to its 10+ year history, but I'll take
the guess that KDE has never integrated with new technology within a
*day* of its announcement of existence).