Use of bin versus libexec

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 12:46:47 BST 2012

There are a lot of executables in $KDEDIR/bin which are used for
internal purposes within KDE and are not intended to be directly
executed by the end user.  Having these in the user's $PATH is not
necessary and has overheads for the shell (and for the user, when
doing tab-completion of a command).

Maybe the forthcoming next major release of KDE (i.e. that based on
Qt5 and Frameworks, whether it ends up being called "KDE 5" or
something else) would be a good time to review what is installed here,
and move anything that is not intended to be run by the user into
$KDEDIR/lib/kde4/libexec?  KStandardDirs::findExe() already searches
there (before $PATH or $KDEDIR/bin), so there should be no
serious compatibility problems.

I could submit bugs for all of the individual components that install
such things, but this message is just to gauge the reaction first.
Here is a quick survey of my current $KDEDIR/bin, I'm not sure about
the purpose of all of these executables but have certainly never had
the occasion to run any of them as a user.  Some of them are even
dangerous to run...

*.kss				<-- all screen savers
akonadi_*
akonadiserver
amarok_afttagger
amarokcollectionscanner
curconvd
dtvdaemon
kactivitymanagerd
kalarmautostart
kapplymousetheme
kbuildsycoca4			<-- but useful for the user to run sometimes
kcheckrunning
kcminit
kcminit_startup
kcookiejar4