Broken build of KDE Base Apps and unauthorized increase in dependency

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Wed Sep 12 19:04:02 BST 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Dawit A <adawit at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dawit,
>>
>> It has come to my attention that since commit
>> 603a93268efb9d09f8c6255907f46928c651fdbd to kde-baseapps master, the
>> build for it has been broken.
>> This is due to it depending on new features, present only in the KDE/4.9
>> branch.
>>

> That is only a temporary situation. All the changes in the 4.9 branch are
> periodically merged into
> the 4.10 branch by David, but I guess that does not resolve this issue.
>

>> This is problematic because:
>> - kde-baseapps depends upon a minimum of 4.7.97 (ie. KDE 4.8) which
>> obviously is no longer the case. It depends upon unreleased code.
>>

> Ahh... I was not aware of this was a requirement though I still do not
> understand why we have started insisting on forward compatibility.
> Regardless, I will fix this since it is only a matter of wrapping the code
> with #ifdef.
>

>> - This feature will not be in KDE 4.10 at the moment, because the
>> feature was added to KDE/4.9 instead of KDE/4.10 as it should have
>> been.
>>

> It is not a new feature. It is a bug fix. It is needed to fix the
> directory filter plugin for Konqueror.

First, sorry I confused kdelibs with kde-baseapps in this response. So
forget what I said about changes being merged back into 4.10 branch by
David. Anyhow, I have now attempted to fix this issue as reported here. See

http://commits.kde.org/kde-baseapps/f0d5e062bf0452258d337d7dcb2edd2eefa1c37b
.

However this fix does not really work. That is compile will fail if KDE
version is changed to 4.9.2 as well because Qt's moc processor does not
seem to correctly handle #if macros. So my question is whether it would be
acceptable for me to revert this change from the git 4.9 branch and simply
leave it as it was in the git master branch ? IOW, kde-baseapps 4.10
release will have a minimum requirement of kdelibs 4.9.2 ?