How Can I change wallpaper from CLI?

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:24:34 BST 2012

2012/9/5, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>:
> 2012/9/5, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:
>> On Wednesday 05 September 2012, Jeremy Whiting wrote:

>>> No, I don't think any plasma containments expose their configuration on
>>> dbus.
>>
>> In KDE3 it was possible to set the wallpaper via dcop in kdesktop. So we
>> can't
>> do this anymore ?
>
> In the past, a desktop had a wallpaper. Now, a plasma desktop can have
> one or more desktop containments (activities) which may have any
> wallpaper plugin which may or may not have the concept of a static
> image that you can configure.

Apparently you can set a wallpaper like this:

function setWallpaperOnActivity(activity) {
    if (activity.wallpaperPlugin != "image") return false;
    activity.currentConfigGroup=["Wallpaper","image"];
    activity.writeConfig("wallpaper","/usr/share/wallpapers/Foobar");
}

(untested!)

But there seems to be no DBus method to run JS scripts in Plasma
without using the interactive console dialog...

--
Nicolás