Nepomuk Metadata Extractor moved to KDE Review

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Wed Nov 7 17:03:23 GMT 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Jörg Ehrichs <Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Vishesh,
> thanks for the input.
>

> > 1. You have multiple extractors - One for resources which extract
> > information from the file, and some web-extractors. Considering that
> Nepomuk
> > now allows easy Qt based extractor plugins, how about we move your code
> over
> > there? Your poppler based code would be quite useful. Same goes with the
> > ODF.
> >

> Yes, when I've started the project the new file extractors wasn't
> available.
> I do intent to switch to the new fileindexer way combined some the
> current filename analyzing

File name analyzing?

> (unless this can go into the fileindexer too)
> About moving the pdf/odf analyzer over. I thought you already copied
> the important parts to the new indexer?
> If they are still missing, I'll add them later on.

I was hoping to find some library to do the odf parsing. Also, your poppler
based analyzer tries to get the title from the first page. That seems
pretty cool.

> > 2. Project Name - If one moves the extractors away, the only part that is
> > left is the web-extractors. Why not rename the project to
> > Nepomuk-WebExtractor or something similar? I know a project by that name
> > already exists, but that can be removed. It's a dead project.
> >

> If we can ignore the naming issue with the "old" project, I really
> like to rename it to Nepomuk-WebExtractor as this
> fits the purpose of the system the most.

I think we would have to file a systemadmin request for this. Maybe we can
append gsoc to the orignal projects name. I don't think it would be correct
to just throw it away.

Does anyone have any opinions about this? ( We should obviously email the
original author (Artem - 2010 gsoc) )

> > 3. I would eventually like this to be a part of the KDE SC release. Web
> > Extractors are something that I have wanted for a very very long time.
> I'm
> > not sure if we can get this into 4.10, but I'd definitely like it to be a
> > part of 4.11.
> >

> I would like to be part of KDE SC, i assume its way to late for 4.10
> due to feature freeze but 4.11 sounds nice too.
> I could go extragear for now and move it back to kde-runtime when
> master is unfrozen again?

+1

> > As to where it should be placed. I agree with Sebastian Kugler, kdelibs
> is
> > not the place. We had initially planned on splitting kde-runtime/nepomuk
> > into multiple repositories, but we're now waiting for KF5. Do you think
> this
> > could go under kde-runtime (not in that repo)
> >

> Just wonder if runtime is the really best place.
> Beside the fact that its a standalone program, it also can serve as a
> library which can be used by others.
> While this is mostly a "like to have case" the additional searching
> capabilities could be nice in
> Bangarang, Amarok, Okular and other programs working with media files.
> Would such a library component
> still fit into runtime? Or should is just ignore this fact for now, as
> it is unlikely that this will be integrated
> into other programs is the near future.

I see your point. Now even I'm confused. It seems to come under the same
category as nepomuk-core which contains libraries and runtime components,
which the libraries require.

Anyway, we won't have to figure this out for a couple of month at least.

--
Vishesh Handa