merging development branch into master

Andriy Rysin arysin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 03:59:30 GMT 2012

Hi all

My student for SoK (Shivam Makkar) was working on a feature this summer
(to show preview of a keyboard layout) and I think it's ready to be
included in 4.10 (although some improvements and cleanup would not hurt
a bit later). It seems that we're getting close to feature freeze so I'd
like to merge the branch "amourphiouskb" into master.

I read a bit about merging development branches but what I found was on
kdelibs rather than on kde-workspace and I am a bit short on free time
to put all the pieces together (I've got a newborn in the house :)) and
I don't want to mess the merge up so I would appreciate some help to get
the code merged. So here are the questions:
* looks like rebase is preferred if branch is local, but this branch is
in repository so I guess we need to merge?
* this branch hasn't been synced with master since July, is this a
necessary step before merging it into master? if yes: I tried to rebase
this branch but got merge errors, what's the best way to deal with it?
* I guess once the branch is merged it should be closed for business:
fixes go into master and new features go into new branch, right?

Thanks in advance,
Andriy