QtScript considered dangerous

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 25 13:52:44 BST 2012

On Friday, May 25, 2012 11:14:17 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On [1], the Kent Hansen says:

ime, Kent tends to be focused on the better future rather than the pragmatic
present while tending to ignore use cases that his team doesn't have
themselves. this can make using things that comes from his team at times
rather difficult. we've gone through these sorts of issues a couple times
already in the past.

(i love his excuse for not including a QScriptContext style API in QJS, given
that it is indeed highly useful: "it's an implementation detail". it is never
useful to be able to introspect into the call stack, right? *sigh*
QScriptContext itself does expose too many implementation details, but the
idea of QScriptContext is rather good. it would be nice to see it conceptually
improved rather than dumped becase of problems with the current
implementation.)

i find that usually pressing the issue, reiterating the use cases, finding
others with the use cases and producing patches (ignoring the "we might not
even accept changes" sillyness) tends to help.

there's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater here, and improving
QtScript rather than rebuilding (and all the testing that comes with it) the
JS support in numerous KDE applications is rather more sensible imho.

--
Aaron J. Seigo