KDE mailing lists - a few questions

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue May 22 09:12:02 BST 2012

Hi Todd,

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,

> What is the criteria for a mailing list being "dead"?

No mails since several months. Also the sysadmins see those easily as
they usually cause a lot of bounces.

> Another issue: are mailing lists the proper way to be distributing
> bugzilla notifications, or should those be handled by subscriptions
> inside bugzilla?  From the discussions I have seen the latter is
> supposed to be the preferred method, but a bunch of mailing lists are
> still being used for bugzilla notifications.

I think it is legit to use a mailing list, yes. I think this is pretty
much one of the best ways to be subscribed to a certain group of mails
for the user. Not all users are familiar with bugzilla enough to know
how they can get themselves subscribed to all bugs of a product or a
component for example. And while this is easy for people with enough
rights, it isn't for the average bugzilla user.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org