kio and frameworks 5

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 13 21:45:17 BST 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 12:58 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 13 May 2012 11:32:46 Casper Clemence wrote:
> > * it mounts lots more than an ordinary VFS - including XML documents (so
> > the tree of the document can be browsed), databases, X (so that window
> > position and size for example can be read and modified as if they were data
> > in the filesystem), web browser bookmarks...
> > .. all of which leads to the "uniform method of access" I mentioned where
> > all sorts of document data, document structure and metadata becomes
> > available in a a uniform way.
>
> All this sounds synchronous (the data is always available right away).
> So it probably makes sense as a kioslave (so that all applications can access
> all of the above via KIO API), not as a replacement for KIO (which has to
> provide an asynchronous way of accessing network protocols).

The initial API was designed around std::iostreams for both content and
metadata (extended attributes). Over time support was added for running
the various metadata plugins in their own processes etc, and most
recently some work was done on a REST API which would likely be the most
useful for bolting libferris in as a kioslave.