Package Dependcies List on Techbase

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue May 8 11:55:01 BST 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 4:36 pm, Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I started putting the list of package dependences (arranged by module)
> onto Techbase.
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Requirements
>
> The tables on the subpages there are generated by a perl program I wrote.
> That program reads the CMakeLists.txt files inside a module and generates
> wiki content
> I then copy+paste into Techbase.
>
> Please review for accuracy.

These are really useful pages - thanks for taking the time to do this!

1) One observation is that in some cases, different modules which depend
on each other require different versions of the same dependencies. It
would be nice if there was some correlation between these.

For example, kdelibs requires shared-mime-info >= 0.60, while kdepimlibs
requires shared-mime-info >= 0.30. Since kdepimlibs depends on kdelibs,
shared-mime-info >= 0.60 is effectively required for kdepimlibs as well,
even if its CMakeLists.txt only asks for 0.30.

2) Is QtDeclarative actually REQUIRED for kdepim? Isn't it only required
in order to build mobile apps? If so, it should be marked as Optional. Are
there any other dependencies which are similarly marked as Required, when
in fact they are optional?

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.