RFC: i18n: drop KUIT tags in KDE Frameworks 5.0?

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 23:15:05 GMT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 04:28:52PM +0100, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> It occured to me that I could examine usage-over-time statistics, since KDE
> 4.0. Here is the percentage of strings in core (SC) modules containing KUIT
> markup, [...]
>
>   2012-01-01    0.60%

i would find this number way more helpful if it gave the percentage of
strings with markup only amongst strings which have placeholders, as
that is by far the most interesting target group.

> I have a small hope that in the future we could actually push the full
> system as proposed :)

i wouldn't set the hopes too high.
while the system is certainly well thought out, it isn't such a
spectacular improvement (as far as the average dev is concerned) that
you'd have much of a chance to stand against the momentum of the
solutions the various communities have. it's way more likely that you
gain traction when you optimize for minimal migration pain in a
community which is actually in search of a solution. the next qt
contributor summit is in only two months. how about another trip to
berlin? ;)

p.s.: i still have your epic mails in my inbox, and they perfectly serve
the purpose of giving me a bad conscience about still not having
answered them properly. let alone your paper. :}