RFC: i18n: drop KUIT tags in KDE Frameworks 5.0?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 19:12:53 GMT 2012

On Friday 23 March 2012 19.39.26 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Removing the functional effects which context markers have, including the
> > /format modifiers, might have a significant effect if this makes
> > everything plain text rather than rich text, so at first sight I'm not
> > too keen on this idea.
>
> I agree with David here, the fact that people don't use them does not mean
> we  should aim at using them. And people don't use them because most
> people probably doesn't know, this can be attributed to a lot of things,
> like for example us not having a proper "style guide" where you would
> write "Each time a filename appears in an user visible message write
> <filename>%1</filename>".
>
> Other reason is developers not caring about consistency much, we could
> easily  gather some non-hardcore developers to go other the various i18n
> messages of a given app and "fix" them.

Looking at the numbers I'm not sure your optimism is warrented; this feature
has been around for many years and its documented on techbase yet its being
used in very very low numbers. (333 times in all of KDE for the filename tag..)
Sure, it may be ignorance.  Frankly, I didn't know about this feature.
The fact that developers didn't know about this feature is just as much
education as that they never needed it and asked how to do it.

I think its nice to be optimistic and think that we can get people to fix their
UIs and suddenly get people to care.

But can we be certain enough of succeeding now where we clearly failed before
that this is actually worth stopping the innovations that Chusslove is working
on?

Read those numbers again; its kinda depressing really;
--
Thomas Zander