[GSoC] KWin colour management

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:10:35 GMT 2012

Am 23.03.2012, 06:27 Uhr, schrieb Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de>:

> Where would be a competing system on Linux?
Well, I certainly did not read all of that "colord ./. oyranos" flamewar
on k-c-d where supporters of either basically tagged the other like
incapable and/or irrelevant s..tufff, but I as certain did not dream about
it.

So while this might just have been kindergarten s...tuff about "xyz uses
mono and we hate mono", I was under the impression that those were
conflicting approaches to CM.

If it indeed only is about implementation details on the very same
protocol, thus whether colord or oyranos is in use does absolutely not
make any difference regarding the compositor, I wish apologize and
withdraw that particular concern.

>> screen actually could do WG ... but the delete icon in dolphin looks
>> correct?
> That is correctly described and expected behaviour as developers said.

Ok, so let me please complete my former question by its implications:
"Does that actually mean that if I have a WG screen and an application
which does not support the opt-out protocol [...], it will be reduced to
sRGB while the application and the screen actually could do WG ..."
... unless I suspend compositing or switch to another window manager what,
because I'm just a user and don't know what a window manager is, likely
means to switch to another DE, because "it just works" on - let's say -
"Trinity"?

> We discussed that with Wayland people and the last spec revision was
> adapted to meet their concerns. So the transition from X Color
> Management to W(ayland) Color Management should be relativele smooth.
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/openicc/2012q1/004595.html
> http://www.oyranos.org/2012/02/x-color-management-0-4-draft1

Many thanks.
But that seams clearly away from per-region opt-out but into per-window
opt-out, doesn't cover different screens anyway and require toolkits "to
colour correct the whole window" what -if did not terribly misunderstood-
also means that if Qt & Gtk+ support such, but TCL/TK does not (just
examples here), the result would be that w/ or w/o a color correcting
compositor, my Qt & Gtk apps just work fine whereas my very important
professional offset print preview "POPP" (tm) tool written in TCL/TK only
works WITHOUT such compositor (because the canvas is corrected internally
and the buttons are all gray anyway) and fails with one.

Is that correct?

Cheers,
Thomas