RFC: i18n: drop KUIT tags in KDE Frameworks 5.0?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 13:59:04 GMT 2012

On Thu, March 22, 2012 5:47 pm, Chusslove Illich wrote:
>> [: David Jarvie :]
>> I understand from your email that you are only proposing to remove KUIT
>> semantic tags, not KUIT context markers. Can you confirm this?
>
> I confirm. They are used much more than tags, and have no problems on
> their own; they are simply useful whenever present. They would only have no
> functional effect any more (this means dropping /format modifier too).

The original intention of enabling consistent formatting of displayed text
via semantic tags seems a very desirable one. Removing the tags seems to
imply that KDE would abandon the aim of presenting a consistent interface
for such items. If an inconsistent interface is generally considered
acceptable, then I can live with it. But if we really want to try to make
these interface elements consistent, we shouldn't drop the existing scheme
without first considering what might replace it.

Removing the functional effects which context markers have, including the
/format modifiers, might have a significant effect if this makes
everything plain text rather than rich text, so at first sight I'm not too
keen on this idea.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.