GSoC idea: Country holiday service for calendar and calendar improvements

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:10:53 GMT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM, John Layt <john at layt.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 10 Mar 2012 01:15:03 Mark wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Disclaimer: This is just an idea. I don't have plans to make this and i
> > sadly lack the time to even implement it. However, someone might be
> > interested to mentor this and someone else might be interested to do this
> > as a GSoC project. Provided that something alike isn't already existing.
> > didn't do a lot of searching prior of making this mail.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm one of the maintainers of the KHolidays library which provides the
> holiday
> events throughout KDE, and sometimes contributor to the plasma
> clock/calendar.
>
> You can find some information about KHolidays at
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/KHolidays , in particular some details
> about
> plans for a new version of the file format and library that should be more
> flexible and portable and easier to contribute to.  Ideally the data files
> would be a cross-desktop effort.
>
> You can also find some more details in the slides for a talk I gave at the
> last Desktop Summit.  Sadly no video survived :-) See
> https://www.desktopsummit.org/program/sessions/defining-common-standards-
> calendar-systems-and-holidays
>
> It could be an interesting GSoC project to try implement the new file
> format
> and library, but I'm not sure I can mentor it, I tried last year and made a
> hash of it, and I'm unlikely to have enough time this year either.
>
> It does sound like there are some problems with your config, Holidays in
> the
> Plasma Clock do seem to work correctly for most people now.  Perhaps find
> and
> delete the config file for the clock?  Or try it in a new user to see if
> it is
> broken there?

Well, i found that one. My system was set at en_us for the locale. I
switched it to dutch. That works fine for the calendar.
However, now some applications are displayed in dutch as well and that's
not what i wanted. I somehow want to let my system know i'm in
the Netherlands, but want to have the english language.

-- using archlinux btw --

> Cheers!
>
> John.

Regards,