Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Mar 15 12:29:38 GMT 2012

Am 15.03.12, 13:09 +0100 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> Basic design of system color management is that each input (scanner etc) and
> each output (monitor, printer) has to have assigned a personal color profile.

That is not as simple as that. You must include the driver, the colour
related driver settings and maybe more identification informations from
the device itself like the EDID. E.g. Modern monitors can emulate colour
spaces, that would be written in the EDID. A simple one device to one
profile is over simplified and ambiguous at best.

> Applications that are capable of doing color management have to have access
> to those profiles so they can use them in combination with a library like
> lcms to do the right thing.

... and do caching, lookup, perhaps wrapping of CMMs and so one. Would it
not be nice to share that?

> Colord embraces that concept and provides all we need.
>
> Oyranos makes things ... complicated.  See;
> http://www.oyranos.org/doc_alpha/index.html

That is a apple against orange page comparision. But hey, here is a
better link:
http://www.oyranos.org/features/

> --
> Thomas Zander