Review Request: include KolorManager in kdegraphics

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br
Wed Mar 14 13:00:37 GMT 2012

> No. There should be color management by default in KDE, that's really

> important; and there should be only one solution by default. We shouldn't
> let distributions, or even worse, users decide which solution they use. That way
> madness lies. KDE's Color management solution shouldn't be in extragear.
>
> As to which one is selected, there are a couple of ways to decide.
>
> The first is, first come, first go. Kolormanager has been in development for
> quite some time now, and colord is an upstart, gnome-derived technology.
> Integration of colord in kde was only started very recently. Everyone is free to
> start a competing project, even inside KDE, but to make that project block a
> pre-existing project isn't the way to go.
I'm not talking about blocking pre-existing projects, I'm really looking forward a
solution where the two could live. Sure we don't want users/distributions to
decide but they do.

> The second way to decide would be on technical merits. I'm not going to go
> into that discussion; I've seen too many tiresome discussions already, and I
> don't feel really competent anyway.
>
> For me as an application developer, life sucks anyway, since I have to support
> Linux, Windows and OSX, so for the time being, the application will offer its
> own way to select profiles, in addition to using the X11 display atom that both
> colord and kolormanager support. (And I don't want to think about printing
> anyway.)
Well if we go into the merits discussion I really think we will get nowhere,
as we didn't sort this first we won't sort this out now, KDE and GNOME primary
goals is Linux, so I really don't think supporting platforms where they already
have good solutions for this is a way to go.

So how do we go into the merit discussion without creating yet another flame war?