DrKonqi improvement idea

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 09:30:59 GMT 2012

Quoting Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>:
> Whilst I have not evaluated it's compatibility with Bugzilla 4.2, I do
> not suppose anyone has looked at
> https://launchpad.net/bugzilla-traceparser ?

The traceparser might be a good-enough solution for finding duplicates
and helping the reading of backtraces, yes.

This thread is a bit more about solving the inital problem in a
different way since the actual usage of bugzilla for processing
backtraces is something that we probably want to sidestep in the first
place.  Here is why;

* users that get a crash have to have a bugzilla account already if
they want to give it to us.
This is a problem because developers don't get a good insight of how
often things crash due to this higher level of contribution. Yes,
reporting a backtrace makes the user a contributor!

* users that get a crash are asked to themselves figure out if the
trace is a duplicate and are offered the option to add a cc instead of
a new report.
This is a problem because users are not capable of doing this and it
feels less-then-helpful to just cc yourself on a bugreport, which
means a lot of people just choose the safe route of creating a new
report.

* bugzilla holds backtraces as plain text in comments. Often mixed
with user-typed text.
This is a problem because it makes parsing and generating statistics
and automatic re-assignment near impossible.  Consider how many ark
and konq bugs there are that are actually a crash inside of a random
kpart...

* bugzilla is meant to be for developers, users find it provides an
overkill of info and getting simple "disable feature X to stop the
crashing" is just impossible to communicate with the user right now.

* reporting to bugzilla means we have exactly one place where
*everything* kde based goes. A monolithic database shared by hudreds
of projects with 15 years of history.
This one is thinking ahead, thinking about the future handling of
project tasks and bugs and attacking the general dissatisfaction with
mozillas bugzilla tool (which I won't address here).
This database usage is a problem because it means the data is
unavailable for innovative (read; not yet invented) usage in
project-specific task-handling. Its also a problem for groups or
indivuduals that are geographically too far from bugs.kde.org to have
nice response times.

Ideally the improvement idea that I see forming in this thread makes
people stop reporting all backtraces to bugzilla but instead go to a
component that solves all those issues and one that distills the
inflow of traces into a limited number of issues.  Those limited
number of issues can then be made into bugzilla tasks which are
handled as normal.

So, I'm interested (and active) in solving this in a way that is only
a little related to bugzilla and get free from the thinking imposed by
bugzilla.
--
Thomas Zander