simon: Review for move to extragear/accessibility

Peter Grasch grasch at simon-listens.org
Sat Mar 3 11:50:52 GMT 2012

Hello everybody,

I just filed a sysadmin request to move simon from playground to kdereview. I'm
hoping to proceed to extragear/accessibility after a successfull review.

If you don't yet know simon, you can find more about it on the simon listens
homepage:
http://simon-listens.org/index.php?id=122&L=1
Or the still excellent article on the dot:
http://dot.kde.org/2009/08/22/simon-speech-activated-user-interface-kde
Homepage:

Adressing the points on the policy article on techbase:
* The simon project contains a couple of sub-applications all but one of which
have user documentation in docbook format (the missing one being a rather new
< 250 sloc utility). The documentation still refers to the last released
version 0.3.0 but will of course be updated before the next release.

* Overall, there is sadly not a lot of developer documentation in the simon
code. However, the main "entry point" for external developers - simons command
plugin interface - is well documented.

* There were a handful of krazy errors on the last run (42), but I committed
fixes for the reported issues this morning.

* A basic usability review was done at the UI clinic at last years desktop
summit with valuable feedback from Bjoern Balzaks. Frederik Gladhorn
implemented some of them already but some of the suggested changes are quite
hard to implement on the technical side. Still, we defnitely care about
usability and intend to continue to work on it.

* I'm not entirely sure about the profiler section but we do run valgrind
checks on simon from time to time and all in all we seem to be doing fine.

* To the best of my knowledge, simon is completely translatable and already
available in a couple of languages (http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-
kde4/package/playground-accessibility/)

I'm very much looking forward to your feedback and thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Peter