systemd user session units for KDE

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Mon Jun 25 22:17:48 BST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> One of my colleagues at Intel has begun working on a project to have systemd
> launch and manage the user session. He's asking for help in getting KDE
> supported, since it's not his area of expertise.
>
> Is there anyone interested in helping him?
>
> Here's a link to the repository where he's placed what he has so far:
>        https://github.com/sofar/user-session-units
> First tarball:
> http://foo-projects.org/~sofar/user-session-units/user-session-units-1.tar.gz
>
> His announcements on G+:
> https://plus.google.com/115124063126128475540/posts/YjNJdJHFmQt
> https://plus.google.com/115124063126128475540/posts/1Khha42nReG

Thanks Thiago,

I just posted v3, which has some rough support to run `startkde` under all
this, which should run just fine (but I admit, not yet tested myself).

In the long run I'd like to split out all the components that KDE (and the other
desktops too) into real, independent service units so that we can rely on
e.g. socket or dbus activation for the ones that it matters.

The short term effort however is to get people to test systemd user
sessions, since there's almost nobody out there using all this functionality.

So, testers appreciated - feel free to ping me personally if you have issues
getting this to work.

Auke