Proposed adjustments to our release cycles

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 18:08:33 BST 2012

El Dilluns, 18 de juny de 2012, a les 06:36:33, Martin Gräßlin va escriure:
> On Monday 18 June 2012 00:26:13 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > My concerns:
> >  * Need more people to do the tarball packaging/releasing (since if you
> >
> > propose to release that often you can't expect the same person to be doing
> > packages almost weekly or byweekly given the release dates won't probably
> > align)
>
> I would say we need proper Jenkins support for that. It must be as simple as
> clicking one button to have the tarball fall out of the CI system and
> already know whether it compiles or not.

This is cool, i totally support that, just don't see it there, do we have any
volunteer for the work?

> >  * Uncertainity on the "current release state". We have people that don't
> >
> > know the current state of the release and commit new features or new
> > strings when we are frozen, and that's with just one release schedule, i
> > can imagine the mess with N different release schedules
>
> "Always summer in trunk". As long as releases are not created from the
> master branch it should be fine. On the other hand nobody should commit
> without a review anyway, so just commit and push without proper
> communication with the core developer group is so wrong in the first place

That's news to me, I've been commiting for 10 years to KDE cvs/svn/git and the
code i have pre-review is clearly under 5%, if mandatory pre-reviews are part
of the plan, please clearly state so.

> >  * The difficulty of coding for N releases. Since the releases an not
> >
> > aligned anymore, you have to maintain code and #ifdefs for new features
> > that depend on new versions of parts X of the stack that may or might not
> > be used by people compiling the application. We've have some bad
> > experiences with "expected versions on the stack" so i hope you're
> > understanding this is not a theoretical scenario.
>
> Also here: proper Jenkins support. CI needs to scream at you if you commit
> something which does not compile.

Compiling is not enough, let me remind you of the 4.8.4 kdelibs crashes
misteriously if not un against the "proper" soprano problem.

Cheers,
  Albert